Monday, October 5, 2009

Ultimate Destro

Destro has always been one of my favorite G.I. JOE characters. While I love the ruthless single-mindedness of Cobra Commander, the complex motivations, loyalties, and relationships Larry Hama created for Destro make him a far more interesting character.

In fact, the first G.I. JOE comic I ever bought was issue #14 which features Destro on the cover.

Photobucket

While I might have been initially spurred to purchase it by the TV commercial advertising the issue, inside I found a bold, intelligent military commander who abides by his own code of loyalty and is not afraid to show his emotions to the woman he loves...albeit behind closed doors. He also just happens to look bad-ass with a polished beryllium steel mask and steel gauntlets loaded with weapons.

Photobucket
Photobucket

His appearance also heralds the creation of the dramatic dynamic of the Cobra High Command. While The Baroness admires The Commander's fanaticism and is fiercly dedicated to Cobra's goals, when Destro appears, her love for him begins to divide her loyalty and question the Commander's means.

The Baroness is Cobra Commander's right hand in the Cobra organization and they share a kinship in fanaticism. But The Commander needs Destro because he supplies his weapons. So while The Commander respects him, he knows Destro has his own motivations and is not dedicated to "the cause."

Completing the trinity is Destro who appears at first to be motivated soley by greed. He's selling a lot of weapons to Cobra and he wants to make sure they are used to their greatest effectiveness. He also knows that a fanatic like The Commander will sacrifice anything to reach his goals. Destro, however believes it foolish to waste both assets and lives unecissarily. But becaue of both his actions and his words I often found myself questioning, did he join Cobra to make sure he could keep selling weapons to them or was it to keep a closer eye on the woman he loves?

There have been14 Destro action figures released since the 25th Anniversary Series began in 2007 but not one of them is the classic Destro based on his original figure and card art. The preceeding paragraphs explain why I had to do this character justice. Below is my "Ultimate" Destro dressed in his classic black uniform.

Photobucket

I actually dyed his body so that there would be no nasty paint rub on the joints, then I detailed the heck out of him painting all his gear and adding washes and highlights. (Check out the reflection in the gem around his neck.) I even gave him the trademark black eyes with green pupils in the center.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
"Say my name."

Photobucket
"Destro."

Photobucket
Come close, my Baroness.


Photobucket
"Let me play a little something for you on the McCullen family pipe organ, my dear."


Photobucket
"Destro, darling, I luf it ven you play the entertainer."

Check back soon for less long winded entries or click the link on the bottom right to subscribe to my blog.

2 comments:

Like what you see? Share your thoughts!