Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mara Jade Star Wars Expanded Universe Custom Action Figure Art

While I'm mostly a dabbler in the Star Wars "Expanded Universe," I've had a crush on Mara Jade since her appearance on the cover of Star Wars Insider. With her tortured and dark past and eventual redemption, she's a character I can admire for taking life's lemons and making lemonade. The flaming red hair and black bodysuit also don't hurt my eyes either. ;-)

Photobucket
So when Hasbro announced an updated Mara Jade action figure, I was really psyched they'd get it right this time. You see, the first one they released had orange hair, fish eyes, and only 5 points of articulation. Unfortunately, the second time around wasn't much of an improvement. She still had had orange hair, but now she had a sleepy eyed face deco, a pink complexion, and a purple outfit. Below is my improved Mara Jade.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I dyed the entire body black as to not have any "paint rub" issues on the joints then repainted all the details giving her gear a more worn and "battle used" appearance. I also painted her hair deep firey red and completely repatined her face. The finishing touch was adding her trademark gray cape.

Photobucket
Mara Jade VS Juno Eclipse?

I hope you dig her, if you do, leave a comment, sign up for updates, follow me on Twitter, or contact me for a commission. Until next time, I remain "The Insidious One."

3 comments:

  1. wow one figure i do want,how do you dye plastic tho?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ben. Plastic dying is a dirty job. I use Ritt dye, a croc pot, and a metal strainer. I haven't done it in a while. Next time I do, I'll take some pics and do a blog post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric, another homerun, love the detail.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Share your thoughts!