Saturday, February 5, 2011

Luke Skywalker Jedi Master Star Wars: Expanded Universe Custom Action Figure Art

In the Original Star Wars Trilogy, Luke Skywalker transforms himself in the span of just a few years from a whiny farm boy in A New Hope, to a whiny Jedi in training in The Empire Strikes Back, to a "barely there" Jedi Knight in Return of the Jedi.

But now, thanks to The Prequels, The Clone Wars TV show, recent video games, and current comics we see fully trained Jedi performing feats that make Luke's abilities in Return of the Jedi seem...underwhelming.

Even as a kid, I imagined that Luke would continue to train in the years after Jedi and would eventually become a powerful Jedi Master. His costume might even become more like Obi-Wan and Yoda's. But it would always somehow have that "black element" that mirrors the inner darkness all Skywalkers must face.

The funny thing is that I recently discovered at the Star Wars Archive Database that Kenner was actually developing a Luke figure that very much fit my childhood imaginings. (See pics below.)

Photobucket
This figure was actually developed for Return of the Jedi as "Jedi Luke" before the figure we all know was created.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Years passed but I still longed for my vision of a powerful Jedi Master Luke. In recent years Hasbro released the New Jedi Order Luke in the Jedi Evolutions pack but it just wasn't doing it for me. He looks wimpy with sloped shoulders, bland colors, and a pitiful facial expression. I had all but given up when I finally saw this Legacy comic book cover by Adam Hughes.

Photobucket
It was the closest thing to my childhood image I had ever seen but there was one missing element...the black. Re-inspired by this piece, below is my solution...

Photobucket
He has the more traditional Jedi costume but I sculpted his Return of the Jedi tunic underneath. He also has his plain black boots, and his black utility belt (albeit outfitted with more traditional Jedi gear). I went back and forth on the color of the outer layer of the tunic but in the end I felt that it would be too much if it was black. I made it brown and I'm really happy with the result as I think it unifies the colors of the costume.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I hope you've enjoyed Star Wars Week here at Insidious Customs as much as I have. Star Wars has played a huge role in making me a collector, designer, and lover of toys and I thought it was high time I showed it some affection.

Thanks for all the fun and laughs, Uncle George. You succeeded. You gave us back mythology.


The response to Star Wars week has been so positive, I will definitely be doing more Star Wars pieces soon. So be sure to sign up to follow the blog, follow me on Twitter, or subscribe so you don't miss anything. (All those links are on the right.) Until next time, I remain "The Insidious One."

2 comments:

  1. Nice custom! If you look closely at the Jedi Master Luke from Legacy (in your reference photo) you'll see that he is wearing the black ROTJ tunic under his jedi robes. So the black element is there. Looks like you and adam hughes had the same idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anonymous! I did notice the tunic under the robes but it looks more brown to me than black, as does the belt and "ghostly" boots.

    I have another "Grandmaster Luke" on the back-burner, but after looking at this post again, I just may have to move him to the front.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Share your thoughts!