Friday, March 5, 2010

Nick Fury Custom Action Figure Marvel Universe

I've loved the Marvel Comics character Nick Fury since I was a little boy. He's America's James Bond with cool gadgets, guns, cars, and beautiful women but with a distinctly American story. He was a WWII war hero, an ordinary man thrown into extraordinary situations, and a thinker who always manages to one-up even the most powerful super-villains and heroes when necessary. My Nick Fury is drawn by Jim Steranko with all the wonderful 60's kitsch that made every page of Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. interesting to look at even if you ignored the word balloons.

So when Hasbro and Marvel Comics decided that they were going to make a Nick Fury figure for the Marvel Universe line, I was ecstatic! In order to get it, you had to sign up for Marvel's digital comics which wasn't cheap. But I was willing...that is, until I saw the final product.

Photobucket

He didn't look like any version of Nick Fury ever and the head was far too young to be the grizzled but hip hero from WWII. Yes, I know he keeps himself frozen at about age 40 with the Infinity Formula but wtf? After doing a little research at MarvelousNews.com, I found the answer. The likeness was based on one of the higher ups in Hasbro. Ugh! Jim Steranko should punch this guy in the nose!

Needless to say, I've once again remedied the situation. A fellow customizer on Hisstank.com posted his version of Fury a few months ago using a really fantastic head sculpt that looked almost like Steranko had drawn it! And after a lot of digging, I found out it was an old Jurrassic Park head. Luckily, I was able to find one in a bin at a toy show. It started out really rough, but with a lot of work including some dremeling to make him look a little older around the eyes, it was perfect for my Fury.

Photobucket

The head also features a sculpted eye patch and cigar which was by far the most difficult part of this custom because of it's tiny size. The head is completely repainted as well as the body and gear to give it that bold 60's look. I added the signature holster to his chest which was also missing from the Hasbro figure. And as a child of the 80's I also couldn't resist giving him an M16 with grenade launcher.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hope you dig him. If you do, he's available on ebay right now! He's a one of a kind so get him while you can.

2 comments:

Like what you see? Share your thoughts!