Monday, June 28, 2010

The Hard Master from G.I. JOE Custom Action Figure Art "Ultimate"

When I posted my first Hard Master custom, I teased that I was working on another one that was even more true to his look from the original Marvel comic books. And just a few months shy of a year later, he is finished and I couldn't be happier with how he turned out.
Photobucket
He's a combination of parts from 8 different figures. Some parts were dyed red to minimize paint rub and wear including the gi top, belt, and legs. I show you how to dye parts here but I must admit, getting the red deep enough and bright enough was a challenge that required multiple and unusually long sessions.
Photobucket
But the one part that gave me the most trouble was the head as I searched far and wide to find a suitable wrinkled, bald, old, Japanese man head. I tried numerous 21st Century WWII figures and Pirates of the Caribbean figures but none of them were a good enough base for me to work with....until I finally bought a Doctor Rex Lewis figure and removed his mask and toupee. I dremeled and sanded the scars smooth in most areas leaving them as wrinkles in others. I also smoothed out some his features to make them appear more Japanese. I painted all the skin, gave it a wash, and then highlighted it to really bring out the details of his face and body. (See the last pic.) Finally, I painted his trademark intense stare.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
"Do not let your intensity toward the opponent you see blind you to the opponents yet to reveal themselves."
Photobucket
Last but not least, I added the Arashikage tattoo to his right forearm in the correct position using a custom made waterslide decal. I wasn't sure about the "soft goods" gi top at first, but now I can't imagine him without it. Besides, I love the fact that in the heat of battle he can ditch it to show off his sinewy old man muscles. ;-)

I hope you dig him as much as I do. If you're making a Hard Master or other Arashikage of your own, one set of Arashikage tattoo waterslide decals is also still available in my etsy shop. Until next time, I remain "The Insidious One."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see? Share your thoughts!