Monday, November 12, 2012

Skeletor MYP/200X Custom Action Figure Art - Masters of the UniverseClassics

As I write my final post of Castle Grayskull Week, we are approaching the final hours before the MOTUC Castle Grayskull Pre-Order deadline. Since we began the week with He-Man, I only thought it fitting that we end the week with his arch-nemesis, Skeletor!

If you've read some of my previous posts, you know I'm a fan of the Mike Young Productions / 200X version of Masters of the Universe but prefer to keep those elements out of Masters of the Universe Classics. However, I know there are a lot of fans of that era including some really good buddies of mine who were introduced to the MOTU mythos through the MYP cartoon. So when I see parts that scream MYP/200X, I can't help but get ideas to make 200X style figures for Classics. (See Prince Adam V1 and V2 customs.)

This one started when I saw Preternia He-Man's hood. With the exception of the missing "point" in the front, it was the perfect MYP/200X Skeletor hood. A little bit of sculpting, casting, modding and a whole lot of painting later, we have a Classics/MYP/200X mash-up of Skeletor.
Photobucket
The differences between the Classics Skeletor and MYP/200X Skeletor may seem subtle to the casual fan, but the hardcore fan will notice them right away; the hood, more angular skull with vampire teeth, the bracers, shin guards, belt, shoulder spikes, coloring, and last but not least, the fact that he has more than three toes.
Photobucket
I gave him a pair of Classics style Power Swords but painted them to match the MYP/200X colors. I think they turned out pretty cool.
Photobucket
But he was MADE for the Great Unrest Weapon's Pack Keldor Swords.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I hope you dig him. If you do, leave a comment. But before you do, please consider pre-ordering a MOTUC Castle Grayskull before November 12, 2012 11:59 p.m. PT to go with him.
Photobucket
After all, what's Skeletor without a Castle Grayskull to covet? (Answer: An angry bone-faced guy with no focus in life.) Until next time, I remain The Insidious One.

2 comments:

  1. This is a good custom! I like that he carries the 200X elements, but it's not overly done. You kept a bit of subtleness to fit the Classics, but added all of the great 200X details of that Skeletor. I like this custom a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Taylor. I was definitely trying to strike a balance while at the same time making something that would stand on it's own. Glad you like him.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Share your thoughts!